Saturday, December 11, 2010

Essay Revisited

So I kind of rewrote my essay (taking some of your advice) so I have to rewrite my post.

I explored the idea of secrets and curiosity scientifically, and found every article basically saying that our curiosity is innate. The more I thought about it, the more mystery because my fascination. We get so preoccupied with mystery, sucked in to books like Harry Potter and The Da Vinci Code. From there, I extrapolated to the idea of art, curious as to why I'm so attracted to some and not to others. Why, when there are many individuals who can precisely replicate a scene photo-realistically with paint, are the artists in the museums people like Rothko and Ryman; more importantly, why do I like Ryman so much more than a photo-realistic oil paint landscape. The answer is mystery. Mystery is ultimately what is most attractive about art and, ultimately, about life. We play hard to get, we research new fields, we step into the shoes of another through community service or acting or psyche. Furthermore, our ability to harness our curiosity further than food and shelter seeking is what makes humans unique.

So I explored the different kinds of mystery in art from Fragonard, to Degas, to Chuck Close, to Robert Ryman. I then looked at the Frost poem "The Road Less Traveled" as suggested, and actually related it back to the good and bad children's books I originally took in for that class.

EVERYONE BE CURIOUS ABOUT LIFE. Life is too short to sit around allowing things to happen to us; we must seize every day and learn something new!

Yah! Happy Holidays
PS. Images in the next post

No comments:

Post a Comment