Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Written Spoken Word

Is spoken word poetry meant to be written down? When it is, can the same meaning be gotten from the words without the visual and phonic aspects? 


As someone who attempts to be somewhat knowledgeable about spoken word poetry, I've often wondered exactly what its true purpose is and what makes it so different from written poetry--if it is different at all, that is. Since spoken word poetry is meant to performed rather than read on a page, I decided to focus my paper on whether or not it should  ever be written down for an audience to read. 


Take for instance this transcription* of a spoken word piece (I will post the video later for your comparison, but first, just read this): 


I am your puppet
You are my iron lung
I’m mommy’s little girl

My head is hollow because you said,
“Pretty girls don’t need minds,
Just a man they can
Leech themselves onto”
You were always churning me out to be a soft kind
Never could hate
Or love kind,
Why don’t I just work
At the pharmacy kind—
I don’t want to be kind,
I want to be generous
I have glass eyes that never close so I can’t hide behind the blinding flash of your camera
Constantly in my face
click-click-click
I can’t wick, this is sick
I need to get out
Mommy, when you told me that
After a certain amount of water the grass starts to brown,
I went out and tried to give the lawn a spray-tan
See, I‘d rather die brown and drunk than green and thirsty

I am your puppet
You are my iron lung
I’m mommy’s little girl

My skin is wooded and grainy from your chemical bleaching balms [?] and firming creams
And I can feel
My internal flesh burning as my body is yearning,
Starving for nourishment
But mommy,
You don’t cook anymore
Because you said I don’t need to gain
Another five pounds
Instead, you take me out in public on a leash
After forcing my torso into a corset
Stifling each breath
As I attempt to be Disfigured Barbie
But at least
This is a pattern
And I’m all
About rhythm
Because my breathing
Is the rhythm
My blinking is
The rhythm
And the nurse in the [?] promising to heal me taps
A rhythm
And did I ever tell you
I like to listen to music
Real soft
Because then,
I think it’s coming
From me

I am your puppet
You are my iron lung
I’m mommy’s little girl

I have hinges in my legs, arms, and especially my neck so I can,
“Yes, mother,” “never,” “no, ma’am,”
To the dictator of my household
But you always were the nurturing kind
Except for 17 years, I’ve been trapped
Pumped to life by an iron lung,
My neck elongated like I’m ‘bout to be decapitated
And the metal working
Away at my soft, soft body
Churning, pumping, contracting
‘Cause you know I can’t
And if for a little while I start to feel big
I will always fit
Within your cold, hard embrace
You watch too close
Your depiction of me
Will always be unsatisfactory,
One disappointment after another
I’m sorry mother
Maybe if I was made of plastic I could fit into your world
But I am human
This is real flesh
This is real body
This is real mind
I am smart,
I don’t need to front behind beauty
I do not fit in themes,
I bleed them
I do not follow dreams,
I lead them
I do not apologize
I realize

I cannot be your puppet
You are not my iron lung
‘Cause you are not my master


 Is it really possible to get the true meaning of what the speaker/author is trying to say from just looking at this transcription? Yes, these are the same words being said, but I feel that the performance aspect introduces the reader to a new level of understanding. The video will be coming soon!

*I did this transcription myself after watching the youtube video many times. There are a few words I couldn't understand. They are indicated by: [?]

6 comments:

  1. Performance poetry is just that: it's not really meant to be read. I definitely think this poem would translate better through speech. Yet, I can't help feeling that a poem SHOULD be able to be read. I did Poetry Out Loud in high school, which is recitation of famous "written" poems, and they can be very powerful in performance... Isn't there something impressive about a poem that can go either way and not lose its impact?
    Performance poetry is fairly dependent upon the talent of the performer because the words aren't always enough by themselves. They don't just benefit from, they REQUIRE the right reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly! I also did POL in high school (which is where my love for spoken word began), and so I know what you mean. I think that many of the poems on their database had a lot that could be added from performance, but there were definitely others with which I don't think that was the case. I think the other thing that's different about spoken word/performance poetry is that you don't usually read other people's poems. As much as you study another person's poem, I don't think you can ever quite perform it the way the author could have because you can never know just what inspired their words. This question was just raised because there are a lot of chapbooks, anthologies, and such filled with spoken word pieces and if you didn't necessarily know that they were spoken word, you might not be able to tell. I mean, is written spoken word (in some cases) just a bad poem, that is brought to life through performance, then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spoken Word, to me, is something based so entirely on personal emotion at the time, that no performance can be duplicated with the same degree or kind of pathos. That is why many performance pieces slowly lose their spark: the artist inure the feeling that first inspire them. Transcribing this poem is much like writing a script with only dialogue and no cues...very uninspired and almost unreadable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think I would enjoy reading the transcription of the piece, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. While I will say that spoken word (when performed) has a sort of performance aspect that is lost when transcribed, I think that the line breaks added significant drama/tone/suspense/staccato to the piece. I do think that when transcribed, the tone of the piece is at the mercy of the transcriber. What I mean by this is that you had the option of placing line breaks in different areas, of placing commas/periods in different areas. In this sense, what I read was your interpretation of a performer's piece, not the poet's original performance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have all that much experience with performance poetry, so maybe that's why I still really like just the transcription of this poem. It reminded me a lot of that new movie "Black Swan" (I don't know if anybody's seen it yet...?) because in the movie Natalie Portman plays this twenty-something ballerina who lives with her intensely-controlling mom who spends every waking minute trying to make her daughter prettier, a better ballerina, etc. So that's why this piece struck me.

    ReplyDelete