Thursday, December 9, 2010

Style Differences



For my paper, I was looking over various articles about the importance of color in illustration, and found these quotes that you might find interesting:

"It is not the form that dictates the color, but the color that brings out the form."
-Hans Hofmann
"The color of the object illuminated partakes of the color of that which illuminates it."
-Leonardo da Vinci
These quotes got me thinking, and I began wondering about the essence of illustration; is it the form (the artistic style-i.e. collage) or the use of color that make a lasting impression? Which method is more effective for the sake of creating childrens' books? Art in general?
The pictures attached are a black and white sketch of a peacock by an anonymous artist and a peacock by Eric Carle. Both pictures illustrate the same thing. Which picture is your favorite and why? What roles do style and color play in your decision?

1 comment:

  1. I usually go for color, but here, I find myself much more drawn to the black-and-white image. Perhaps it's because peacocks are so famous for being colorful that the black and white is a bit startling. Without the color to ground it in reality, I notice the shape more, tracing the pattern of eye-like plumes.
    Then again, if you look at something like Rothko, he's ALL color, and form takes a backseat. And I love that, too.
    Honestly, I think that color and form are equally important, especially in children's books (a black and white children's book would be a little sad, and a wash of color would be incomprehensible.) They inform each other.

    ReplyDelete