Friday, December 10, 2010

Could you find this in an art gallery?




Assuming you don't know where it's from, would you be surprised to find the above work in an art gallery? What about this:


Personally, I think I might be more surprised by the latter than the former; the first reminds me of the artwork of the Harlem Renaissance. However it's the latter work of art, a piece by Cy Twombly entitled Souvenir that is more likely to receive attention as a work of art than the former, an illustration from Ezra Jack Keats' children's book, The Snowy Day. For my paper, I'm exploring the distinction between children's book illustrations and other forms of art, including why we generally don't value illustrations as works of art separate of their place in children's literature. I compared Keats' illustration to a Cy Twombly piece in particular because to me it seems reminiscent of something that a child could create (which is not to demean its artistic value), and I find it curious that particularly in the realm of modernism, we can place more value on art that can be likened to that created by a child than on that created for a child. Children's book illustrations serve a unique purpose in supporting the development of a child's mind, but given the beauty and innovation of some of those illustrations I don't think that they should be limited to that purpose. What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment